Saturday 13 April 2013

Friday Favourites #9 - Believe.. Harder

There was a bit of theme this week, it came up a few times in different places. It's funny how life is like that.

Music. 'It's Time' - Imagine Dragons


I know, this song is old. But it's a bit of a rediscovery. I just love the chorus, I love melodies like these, and while the lyrics aren't so original, it doesn't sound cheesy and still communicates. I'm very much feeling the song's theme. I feel like I only just started living a few years ago, and really truly started discovering myself in the last half a year that I'm just not ready to "grow up".  

TV. Emma (2009, BBC)

I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I'm getting obsessed with all things British. I'm always playing Downton Abbey in the background, I'm subscribed to so many British youtube channels and blogs and this week it was BBC's Emma's turn. While I don't love it as much as Pride and Prejudice (how could anyone?!) I still love the story and this was quite a good adaption (charming actors too, especially Romola Garai) and I love that they didn't make Mr Knightley seem really old. I don't mind weird age gaps but golly, the amount of much older men to women in Downton Abbey are so many and they go undiscussed because it's normal. Just shows how sexist things were, and how men of any age could link themselves to young women.  If it were the other way around there would be outrage.  Oops, I didn't really talk about Emma much here did I...

Beauty. Stila In the Light
By George, I finally get it! I finally understand how to use this thing on me! I've stared at it longingly for months, wishing it would suit me to find that so many of the colours pulling so red on my skin. Red just doesn't work for my skin tone and hooded eyes. Even 'Gilded Gold', which looks olive in the pan pulls incredibly red (or red-brown). But alas some more experimenting has meant that I can finally use frosty shades like kitten and champagne all over the lid. I feel a need to talk about this more so I think I will do a full post on it.. :P

I just discovered this blog this week and I adore it.  I love how this is her journal and she shares all of her thoughts and loves and seems like a genuinely lovely person. Her blogging tips post was such a great read, it was interesting and inspiring to read about how much she believed in her blog even back in its early days.  I love hearing about stories like that.

Lesson
I know, cheeeesey!! But do you see the theme? :P
This is the Aussie version of The Voice, and while I hate how these franchises look exactly the same in each country (really? we couldn't have a different looking stage, colours or anything?) it's incredibly fun to watch.  I'm not a huge Seal fan but he said something that really struck me during the show. He said how the 4 judges may not be the best at what they do, but they believed harder than everybody else and that's what got them to where they are. I really believed him as I saw it there for myself - those four judges really aren't the best singers in the world but yet they are so successful and unique. The most successful people in the world aren't always the smartest, prettiest, most talented but they are the ones that persevered despite that. I stopped thinking about how important it is to believe as I got caught up in it for so much of my life that I did very little about it, and so I have spent the last few years just doing things. I think it's time to combine those two powers - to work hard and to believe in oneself. We've got to believe harder when times get rough, and believe that what we do is worth it. 
 Oh and one more lesson/quote I wanted to add: you're not going to please everyone. A common saying, but it has struck me more this week, especially when it comes to blogging. I'm still in the wee early, evolving days and this quote has made me feel easier about what I write and love.

I hope you've had an enjoyable week, what have you loved and learned this week? :)

x mai-anne

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All scribbles are welcome :)